Sunday, July 22, 2007

Canao Special Philex Edition

Philex Barrio Fiesta celebration comes every 3rd Saturday and Sunday of January every year in celebration of the Sto Nino, our patron saint. Since time immemorial, I had one event that specifically makes every fiesta a special one, the Canao. Canao is with enye, sorry I cannot find the special character for that at the time I was writing this, is typically a cordelleran tradition that is a very large eating session. Imagine the whole community, to feed all at the same time, that is something! I dont remember also if it was done on a Saturday or a Sunday... but the night before hundreds of pigs are butchered, cavans of rice are cooked, all sorts of pig related menu was prepared and packed into meals ready to be released and distributed for the public the next day. I was so young then, we flock to the distribution centers to get our share.... It was a crowded experience keeping our lines intact so that we can hav our turn. Once we have our price we happily bring home our treasure only to find out that ate, kuya, mama and papa had their own too.... Of course your arm will be marked with a stamp pad to signify that you had your lunch... After eating the first round, we wash our hands and remove the mark... And again go to the lines not in the same distribution center and get another one.... Every family, every one goes into this experience.... Later, it was modified to just giving a kilo of pork to every family so that the father is the only recipient of this... OHHHHHH! I missed the crowded lines and take twos.... But the spirit lives.... Did you went and get your share? Tell me.... He he...

1 comment:

SLAZH said...

Hello Winston, that was a very nice experience to share to everyone. Sad to say that for 31 years of my stay in Baguio City and Philex Mines (10 years in Philex), I haven't experienced getting my share of 1 kilo of meat during Canao festival because of too much crowd, however, I get my share during drinking session with our Philex friends.

Do share us some more of your Philex experiences so that our Philex viewers can see and recall their nice memories.

Thanks!!!