Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The 1990 Earthquake

It was July 16, 1990 and I was in Philex Mines that time when I first experienced this strong earthquake recorded at intensity 7.70 at Richter scale. My 2 kids were still in Philex Elementary School that time and I was just waiting for them at home before I leave for Manila. The first time the earthquake struck, I immediately run to the school to get my kids, and I could see the bunkhouses, cars, mountains and trees shaking and falling.

At the sight of my 2 crying and frightened kids, I immediately grabbed and carried them both on my arms and run back to Main Camp. Along the way, people were crying, shouting, running for their lives and gathering on the streets carrying their children, religious images, bags, clothes and many others. The aftershocks were so scary that we could hear a thunderstorm-like sound under the ground.

It was a very horrifying experience indeed and we spent a week at the Main Camp Basketball Court, drinking rainwater, eating noodles and bread. I really thought that will be the end of the world. Thank God coz He just shook our heads to come closer to Him.

After 10 days in Philex, I decided to return back to Manila, however, I walked from Philex to Baguio City because the roads were not passable due to landslides. Please check some photos which I published in our website to see the ruined buildings in Baguio City.

Finally, upon my arrival in Manila, my employer deducted 10 days from my salary because of this fortuitous event, that's outrageous!!!

Can you share us your experiences also....

SLAZH,
The Webmaster

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where are the pictures when earthquake destroyed philex?